I'm beginning to wonder if the Fresno heat is what bonds this community. It's the one commonality we all share; no matter what our differences may be, everyone agrees that a projected 109-degree day like today is hot.
So, please stay hydrated and drink more water than you think is humanly possible. Not only is it going to replenish the essential liquids you're losing from merely walking to your car, it's going prevent your body from overheating, keep you more alert (your brain needs it!), and it's even known to calm you down under stress. If you're feeling extra tired after these hot days, it's probably because your body is working in overdrive to keep you cool. Drinking more than the recommended two to three liters a day this July shouldn't be an option. Good luck!
More reasons to drink up from Buzzle.com:
Drinking lots of water is important for your health and well-being for the following reasons:
- It maintains the volume and viscosity of blood, which prevents blood thickening and reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases like hypertension, heart attacks, etc.
- It flushes out toxins from your body through urination and sweat. Water, known as the universal solvent, is the best solvent for most toxic materials and thus, the best agent for the elimination of toxic wastes.
- It minimizes the chances of colon cancer by 45%, breast cancer by 75%, and bladder cancer by 50%.
- For all of you watching the calorie content of what you eat, water is the best beverage. Drinking a glass of water 30 minutes before each meal makes you feel fuller, without having consumed any calories at all. As a result, you will eat less, enabling you to lose weight faster.
- Drinking water before a meal also helps in better digestion of the food and rids the body of excess sodium that leads to fluid retention.
- It helps keep the digestive system healthy.
- By flushing out toxins, it improves the health and the texture of your skin, making it more soft, supple, smooth and wrinkle-free.