Posted by Hilary Malveaux on Nov 24, 2009
1/2 cup (1/4 lb.) butter or margarine
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup sliced almonds
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cups mashed ripe banana
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup buttermilk
1. Melt 1/4 cup of the butter. Pour 2 tablespoons of the melted butter into an 8-cup bundt pan; brush the butter over pan sides and bottom. Mix together the brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and almonds. Sprinkle bottom of pan with half the brown sugar mixture; combine the remaining mixture with the remaining melted butter; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, beat remaining 1/4 cup butter with granulated sugar until blended. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, until blended. Beat in banana.
3. Mix all-purpose and whole wheat flours, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add to banana mixture along with the buttermilk; stir until well blended.
4. Pour half the batter into prepared pan. Spoon remaining brown sugar mixture evenly over top; cover with remaining batter.
5. Bake in a 350 degree oven until a long wood skewer inserted into the thickest part of the cake comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Cool the cake on a rack about 5 minutes, then invert cake onto a serving plate. Cake may be served warm or cool.