Posted by sbertzrosa on Nov 02, 2009
Inspired by smoked fish tacos at Ruddells Smokehouse in Cayucos, I created this recipe based on my memory mixed with other food reviews and a recipe from their web site to satisfy a serious smoked fish taco craving. I have never had anything like it. If you are in Cayucos, you gotta go there. If you can't, then this recipe is the next best thing.
1/2 cup light sour cream
1/2 cup light mayonnaise
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 pound smoked salmon*, shredded
1/2 pound smoked salmon candy**, shredded
2 tablespoons lime juice
one apple, chopped
*smoked salmon can be purchased at the Whole Foods fish counter.
**smoked salmon candy is a sweeter smoked salmon with a heavier smoked flavor.
1. Combine sour cream, mayonnaise, cilantro, apple, 1 tablespoon of chili powder and 1 tablespoons ground cumin in small bowl.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
3. Combine shredded fish, 2 tablespoons lime juice and remaining seasonings in medium bowl; pour into skillet. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat for 3 to 4 minutes.
4. Add fish to mayo mixture.
5. Chop cabbage
6. Heat tortillas.
7. Fill tortillas with fish mixture. Top with cabbage and taco sauce. Serve with lime wedges.
Makes 6 tacos.